Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Do Your Best

Boy, is this a long overdue blog entry! I'm sorry I've been a little M.I.A. lately.




My grandfather passed away very unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago, and I had to travel out of town for the funeral. I've lost two of my other grandparents in years past, but this one hit me much harder. Partly because he was healthy and his death was sudden, and partly because it made me realize just how much you miss out on when you don't live close to family. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very inspired to sew. But I'm feeling much better now and seemed to have come out of my funk.



And now that I've completely depressed you (sorry), let's move on to what I'm up to now!



Once again, my husband volunteered me to make something. But this time the task wasn't too bad.


Our son is in his second year of Cub Scouts and is working on his Wolf badge. This year their uniforms include a vest that they can sew their patches on. There is a traditional red vest, but many Dens wear their own versions of the vest. The boys in our den wanted camouflage vests...desert camo to be exact. And my husband volunteered me to make them.




So I picked up several yards of desert camo in a nice, heavy weight cotton.






Using the Den Leader's older son's vest as a pattern, I got to work. After I cut them out, I just serged all the way around the edges. Then I just folded the edge under and top-stitched. This made things quick and easy, with no ironing involved.




And after just a couple of hours (with cutting and sewing time), I had seven vests!




Here's my son, showing off his new vest and his Cub Scout Salute:




Why do Cub Scouts wear uniforms? Equality, Identification, Achievement, and Commitment.


What is the Cub Scout Promise?


I, (name), promise to do my best
To do my duty to God and my country,
To help other people, and
To obey the Law of the Pack.

What's the "Law of the Pack?"

The Cub Scout follows Akela (their leader, whether its teachers, parents, etc).
The Cub Scout helps the pack go.
The pack helps the Cub Scout grow.
The Cub Scout gives goodwill.



Scouting is helping us teach our son about citizenship, character development, and personal fitness.


And one of the things I like most about Cub Scouts? Their motto: Do Your Best


Not bad words for all of us to live by!



Happy Sewing!

No comments: