Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Little Birdie Told Me....

I've been a busy bee lately! My children's school is having a craft fair next month as a fundraiser for the PTA. For $30, you get a 6ft table and a chance to "sell your wares." I've never done any kind of craft fair before. Since this is a small one and a way to help out the school, I decided to give it a go.

But what to make?!? After much thought, I've decided to mainly make some gift-type items that people could pick up for the holidays. (More about those at a later date!)

But what I really enjoy sewing is clothes for little girls. So I'm going to make some different outfits in different sizes and have them available. I'm also going to have a "portfolio" of the different items I can/have created and take custom orders. Is this the best way to go about it? I don't know. But I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.


So what am I making? Yesterdays project was all about rich colors and ruffles. I found this great fabric the other day and fell in love with the colors: purple, orange, green...all on a soft blue background. I'm also loving the sweet birdie print.


I decided to make a layered ruffle skirt with a long-sleeved, peasant-style blouse.

I love this skirt. It has an elastic, drop-waist and two gently-ruffled layers. It's simple to make and goes together quickly. And it would look adorable layered over some cute tights or leggings.



I decided to pair it with a loose-fitting, peasant-style blouse. I added a ruffle detail to the bottom and a "birdie" applique to the front.





I'm loving this outfit so much...I'm glad I made it in my daughter's size, just in case I decided to keep it!


Happy Sewing!!



2 comments:

slmpetersen said...

It's been a long time since I did a craft fair, but I think custom orders is where the fun (and money for that matter) are at! I love creating something for someone as a special request. I like the challenge! Let us know how the craft fair goes...good luck!

Erika Mulvenna said...

Very cute outfit! Good luck at the fair, it's great that the fair benefits a good cause.

There's a great new website for sewers, www.WeAllSew.com that includes links to sew some love for charity AND free sewing tutorials, projects, and links to other sewers!