Monday, May 11, 2009

Time Is Free, but It's Priceless!

Yesterday was that great day known as Mother's Day. The day where all of us moms are supposed to be showered with presents, thanked endlessly for all we do, and treated like a Queen. We get to sleep in and get breakfast in bed. We don't have to cook, clean, or referee a fight. Our spouse arranges a Day of Beauty at a spa.... What? That didn't happen in your house? Ok....it didn't happen in mine either.

My Mother's Day started out pretty much like any other weekend morning....I get up with the kids between 6 and 6:30 (my kids are and always have been early birds) and my husband sleeps in. The day was quickly turning into just another weekend where I do what I do everyday, while my husband gets to putz around in the garage, tinker with one of his bikes, or run errands (without kids, of course). So I took the bull by the horns. I took charge of my own Mother's Day fate. I told my husband:

"I am going into my sewing room for the day. I am going to sew and watch movies. If the kids come to me with any of their typical drama, I am sending them to you. You have been warned."

And I locked myself in my "mom cave."

And what did I sew? Why, something for myself, of course! :)

We live in Arizona. In case you haven't heard...it's hot here. Very hot. Not that I'm complaining...I'll take the heat over cold, tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes any day. But it does make you really think about your wardrobe choices. For me, it means cool cottons, no sleeves, and usually flip-flops.

This year I decided I needed to venture away from my typical summer "Mom wardrobe" of V-neck t-shirts and shorts. I decided to make myself some cotton dresses. I happened to have a pattern lying around that my mom had given me ages ago (Simplicity 9620), so I decided to go with that. It's a simple dress....no buttons or zippers. You had your choice of necklines and I went with the V-neck.

I managed to make two of them yesterday (while watching "Slumdog Millionaire" [LOVED it!] and "Twilight" [yet again!]), and I'm pretty happy with the results.





The pics aren't the best....my 4 yr old daughter took them for me. She was trying to get me to pose and do all the things I make her do when I use her for my sewing model.


So what was my Mother's Day gift? Well, my kids got me a card and some tulips, and they both made some really cute crafts at school. But the BEST gift I got yesterday was time, uninterrupted (pretty much!) time, to sew for myself!

Hope you all had a Happy Mother's Day!!!

No comments: